Monday, January 17, 2011

Soaked Fruity Oats ~ Recipe

Fruity oats

Oatmeal is a main staple during the winter months and to keep the children happily munching away on it without growing tired of it I like to spice it up with fruit :) I use steel cut oats which can take considerably longer to cook than quick oats and since I usually don't beat my children out of bed I needed a fast track cooking method!

Soaking the oats the night before provides this. By popping them in a bowl with water right after dinner (so I don't forget to do it) I have soft oats first thing in the morning that cook up in a matter of minutes :) The perfect solution when surrounded by a pack of hungry monkeys as soon as my feet hit the floor each day *grin*.

You will need:

3 3/4 cups of water
1 2/3 cups of steel cut oats
(rolled oats or quick oats can be substituted)
Assortment of chopped fruit
Maple Syrup
~ Serves 4

The night before place your oats and water in a glass bowl or jar, cover and let stand until you are ready to use them in the morning. Like I mentioned above, I like to do this when I'm cleaning up after dinner so that I don't forget and then they get a chance to soak a little over 12 hours :)

When you are ready to make breakfast in the morning, transfer your oats to a pot, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir continuously as they cook for 5 - 10 minutes. The shorter cooking time will provide a chewier texture. Remove from the heat and stir in some yummy maple syrup to sweeten it. I usually use 2 - 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and find that it is sweet enough. Pour into bowls and top with chopped fruit.

Fruity Oats

Right now we are using an assortment of kiwi, pomegranates, oranges, apples and banana :) After Christmas the pomegranates came on for a super good price so I couldn't resist buying some and since not everyone likes the same fruit I like to have a few different kinds in the fridge.

Nuts, seeds and dried fruit are other delicious additions to your oatmeal to. Oh there are so many different ways to spice up your breakfast... literally! Try adding cinnamon with your apples or a touch of pumpkin pie spice with pumpkin seeds :)

Enjoy making your oatmeal a little more exotic the next time you cook it and don't forget to sing *grin*.

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old;
Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot, nine days old


Hugs,
Rosina

PS. Looking for more yummy recipes?? Check out this week's Hearth and Soul blog hop :)

9 comments:

Esme said...

This is one of my favorite breakfasts-although I make mine in the microwave-I do not like the consistency of the stove top.

Karie said...

I haven't made steel cut oatmeal in a couple of years but I used to make it in the crockpot. Turn it on before bed and it's perfect in the morning..stay in bed as long as you can!

Arlene Delloro said...

Just made myself some Irish oatmeal. I love that nutty flavor and the little bit of bite. I'll be sure to try your short-cut method next time. I love diced apple and cinnamon in mine or a tablespoon of peanut butter.

Queen of the Nook said...

Oh thank you for this recipe! I was under the impression that I needed to find a small crock pot from the thrift shop in town to enjoy steel cut oats in the morning. My family will readily enjoy this and I have a large quantity in the pantry waiting to be gobbled.

a moderate life said...

HI Rosie my dear! so nice to see your smiling face on the hearth and soul hop this week! I adore steel cut oats and soaking them makes for an easy breakfast! With all this great fruit how can you go wrong! Thanks again! Big hugs! Alex

a moderate life said...

p.s. rosy I am now following you on twitter and I added you to the hearth and soul hop twitter list so look for our daily hearth and soul hop newspaper which will feature all your blog posts and all those of other hop members! Neato! Alex

Amy said...

Such a healthy way to start the day!

I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

Kaylana said...

Great plan for setting the oats out when cleaning up dinner. That's usually what I do with my chic peas. Don't know why I never thought of doing it with the oats. (The oats here are really, really good, btw. I need to convince my daughter of that...) Thanks!

Rachel said...

This looks delicious - I have muchkins gobbling oatmeal right now but I need to try spicing it up a bit with fruit. I've wanted to try steel cut oats but never have the time when everyone is ravenous in the morning - your idea is genius! I can't wait to try it out.
Thanks!