Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yarn Along

A post of my current read and what is cast on my needles ~ Inspired by Ginny over at {Small Things}

Gloves

The days since last week's yarn along seem to have just flown by and I really don't have a whole lot of knitting to show for them *grin*. I finally got into the city to the yarn shop and picked up some of this lovely brown wool by Smart Superwash for the gloves I'm making for my son's birthday :) I was looking for something that would wear and wash up well while still being wool and this was what they suggested and I have decided to go with the vintage Red Cross pattern for Gloves for Service Men.

I thought it was really cool to be knitting something that they would have made for all those men years ago and I think he'll find that really interesting to :) I think I'm going to need longer double pointed needles though as the stitches are just barely staying on as I go round and round and I've got to pay careful attention so that I don't accidentally push a needle out to far and drop a stitch or two when I'm not looking. Other than that so far the pattern is easy to follow and knitting up quickly. I just need to find more time! I don't even have a book to share this week :( I think it's all the baking I've been doing LOL. To much time with my nose in the cookbooks.

Can't wait to see what you all are knitting this week!

Hugs,
Rosina

16 comments:

house full of jays said...

Looking good! I love the tweedy wool!
Can't wait to see the finished project!

Unknown said...

I really like that yarn ~ great color choice. I haven't made any mittens yet, but I am hoping to!

MJ said...

You can post what your baking :)! I love baked goods as much as I love a good book!! And I love that yarn!!

Joy said...

Love that tweedy yarn. Those will be great gloves. I like the idea of making something that connects us to the past too. We made yellow butter (with grated carrots) after Little House in the Big Woods for the same reason last week. :)

Elizabeth said...

Love the yarn and the pattern. I just finished reading "Knitting" in which the two main charaters host an exhibition of war time knitting. It was quite interesting.

Blessings, Elizabeth

Erin @ Wild Whispers said...

They look great! I hate knitting gloves with a passion... hope yours turn out well.

Sweetness and Light said...

I love that tweedy yarn, very rough-n-tough looking and warm :)

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

Awesome pattern choice! I love things with a history like that and I'd feel just like Rilla of Ingleside the entire time I'd be knitting those!

Jarka said...

beautiful tweedy yarn... oh my, I wish I had all the yarns I see in all the yarn-along posts... a room full of yarn wouldn't be enough for me! - new ball of yarn always brings so many possibilities :) and this one absolutely caught my eye ;) lovely!

Sarah said...

The yarn and pattern look like a great combo. They will be great for your son!

JoAnn said...

I love tweed wool.Looks great!

Julie said...

What a great, tweedy wool! I also like the thought of countless women making those so king before you. Such a nice touch of history.

Heidi said...

I love the tweedy yarn...I made a scarf for my DH last year with a similar tweed...I love the idea of knitting old patterns. Share the cookbooks by all means! :-)

nunu said...

great idea for the gloves. you should show us a picture of your cookbooks next time. i can read them like books myself!

nest full of eggs said...

you are a very generous person, knitting for charity

Elisa said...

Love the look of that yarn...similar to mine. You are becoming such a pro knitter!! Good job!