Thursday, January 20, 2011

Nature Walk ~ MacDonald Wood

Boardwalk

Earlier this week we had a chance to meet up with some great friends and head out into the woods for some nature exploration. Sunshine, blue sky, brisk air... who could has ask for a better winter day :)

Through the Trees

A short stroll through the wooded trails led us to this great boardwalk leading to the beach where the real exploring began.

Exploring

There were empty clam shells to be examined, barnacle clad rocks to be rolled...

Attach of the Crabs

brave fingers willing to pick up smaller crabs whose pinch had no bite...

Moon Jelly

and the fun of packing around a moon jelly or two with their see through bodies and jello like texture :)

Discovering

All of the children so willing to share their finds as they clustered around in the shallows of the ocean. Anytime there is water involved that seems to be where they all end up *grin*. Case in point, I reminded my youngest two that they were in snow boots and wellies with a few holes in them and that going into the deep water might not be such a smart idea but of course they filled their boots literally. Just in case you're interested it takes two full days in front of the woodstove to dry out a sopping wet snow boot full of salt water LOL.

Exploring

My oldest son, very much the senior of the younger neighborwoodie crew enjoys these outings tremendously :)

Beautiful Scenery

I wish we could have spent longer taking in the scenery, scents and sounds but I know we'll be back. I love to pop out to one of these spots during a busy day in the city to let the children run free and burn off some of that pent up energy that grows while being cooped up in the car for much of the day.

It really makes for much happier and well behaved children I find when I take that extra minute or hour to go exploring with them before grocery shopping. I just make sure to bring along extra clothes in the event of a very wet child! LOL.

Hugs,
Rosina

14 comments:

loulee said...

I wish we could be doing that just now, looks like great fun.
Thanks for sharing, just these few brief moments helped.

Carol G said...

What a fun trip. Loved to read about it. I can't believe your kids are walking in the water - ours is mostly ice right now and the beach is snowy too.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi Carol :)
We've got nearly a foot of snow at home but a just south of us it's spring like which is just lovely for outdoor fun :) So wonderful that you stopped by! Hugs

nunu said...

beautiful pictures! i love the ocean in all its beauty - no matter what the weather is where the ocean lies... your so right about giving a little adventure when you bring the kids along for errands. makes them more fun for us all.

Helen Handley said...

Oh how nice- you just gave me my outdoors for the day. It is 0 degrees F here, so I can only dream about nature walks for now!

Queen of the Nook said...

I love that pic of the little crab being held up. What a beautiful backyard you have!

Erin @ Wild Whispers said...

Brilliant! I love the ocean and truly wish we lived closer to the water. Being 45 minutes from a fresh water lake is ok... but it's not the same. (Just ask my Cali born and bred husband!) I wish you blessings on your year of intentional living... thanks for stopping by Wild Whispers!

Dakota Gal said...

Moon jellies? Those look really cool. I'm such a Midwesterner, I don't know much about ocean life. It seems so other-worldly to me! Great photos.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi Erin :) Oh I can just imgagine how much your husband must miss the ocean! Such beautiful beaches in California and great weather to enjoy them all year round :)


Hi Dakota Gal :)
Moon jellies are a type of jelly fish that has no tentacles and is unable to sting so you can pick them up and check them out without any harm. They're also called Comb Jellies or Sea Gooseberries *grin*. I think you can find them pretty much on any beach in north america so if you get a chance to visit the ocean you should search for them. They are so cool! They feel just like a jello jiggler and the kids love collecting them :) There's actually a really great children's picture book called Night Of The Moonjellies by Mark Shasha that you would enjoy reading :)

house full of jays said...

Oh, your post fills me with a longing to be back at the ocean...I grew up on the east coast and now dream of living on your island! So beautiful Thanks for sharing a remembrance of summer vacations and warmer days!

Tammy said...

What a gorgeous place! Thanks for sharing!!! Great memories!

Grace said...

Such a beautiful and interesting place to explore.

Elisa said...

Beautiful! Really makes me want to find some mountains (not likely, around here). Can't believe someone had the guts to hold that little critter! AHH!!

Dakota Gal said...

Thanks for the moon jelly info. Good to know they can't sting you -- I was a little concerned about that, but I figured you wouldn't be letting your kids touch them if they were dangerous!