Monday, January 31, 2011

This Is The Way We Wash Our Clothes, Wash Our Clothes

Rising Bread

Our day was filled with chores today :) There was bread making to be done, leftover turkey to be transformed into turkey pies for the freezer, vacuuming and dishes to be caught up on and the never ending need to wash laundry *grin*.

In the winter months I actually have to pre plan when I want to schedule a wash day or two into my week. We have an older home and for some reason the plumbing into our laundry room freezes. The first winter here I didn't know the washing machine pipes would freeze solid with ice and of course when the washing machine went into the spin and drain cycle the water backed up and flooded the floor soaking everything in its path. Not so fun but the floor did get a good impromptu scrubbing *grin*.

So to thaw the pipes we have a hole in the floor directly behind the washing machine with a fan inserted in it so that I can plug it in and the heat from the basement will go into the laundry room to thaw out any ice. It usually takes about an hour, sometimes two hours if the weather is really cold and I have to run our second smaller woodstove upstairs to keep the temperature up in our living area because the fan sucks all of the downstairs heat out of the house into the laundry area.

I can't tell you how many times though that we've been in a pinch for something specific out of the laundry that I forgot to wash when everything was unthawed and would give my right arm to be able to pop a load in immediately! LOL. On days like that warmer spring days can't come quick enough *grin*.

Hugs,
Rosina

7 comments:

house full of jays said...

Ah! That is quite a tricky laundry arrangement.

The bread looks absolutely delicious! We had our baking day here yesterday - so busy but so nice to have smell of fresh bread!

An email to you regarding the hand-milled flour is on my list of things to do!

loulee said...

Oh, my goodness. LOL I hope you plan well this winter.
I once lived in a place that got so cold the milk would freeze if I forgot a left it out overnight! I had to put it in the fridge to keep it warm???

Lo said...

OH MY GOD.....I CAN SMELL THE KITCHEN FROM HERE MMMMMMM
XXX

Dakota Gal said...

I really wanted to complain about laundry today -- how it never ends, how as soon as I conquer the mountain another one has sprung up, not to mention the cloth diapers ... but now I totally cannot complain. Really, I'm going to do my laundry with a smile on my face today!

~Dawn~ said...

Oh my...beautiful bread!! Do you use a bread machine? Do you have a cooking blog? I would love your recipe and any tips you can offer.... :)

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Oh you guys are so sweet :) I love baking bread and I actually LOVE doing laundry when I can hang it outdoors on the line when it's warm enough. I actually search for laundry on those days just so that I can bring in that wonderful sunshine smell *grin*.

Hopewell Creek Designs said...

Now that is really tough work to do all of that....we are women hear us roar!!Don't ya just wonder how long men would do these things in life that we do,and do,and do and still bake delicious bread.