Thursday, January 6, 2011

Waving From Afar

Waving to Daddy

The phone rang early this morning while we were just getting breakfast started and it was Hubby. He was heading our way and if we were quick enough we could make the trip down to the wharf and watch him go by :) So we gobbled down oatmeal, threw on clothes and headed out into the drizzle and cold.

With binoculars in hand we scanned the distant waters for signs of Hubby's tug boat and finally we spotted him not far from us :) As soon as he got close enough to the wharf for us to stand out and wave the kids were out there waving and smiling as daddy stepped out the door and stood on the side of the tug for them to see him :)

I love moments like these. It seems like he is so far away from us for most of the year yet once in a while we get the chance to cross paths and to reunite unexpectedly when we have no expectation to see him so soon. Whether it be a surprise as he returns home early or as we travel to one of the nearby wharves to spend an afternoon with him or to wave and smile as he goes by.

On the tow line

All these little things make each homecoming so much sweeter :)

Steaming along

We watched as he headed north and on to another job.

Watching Daddy Go

My little guy watched with the binoculars until Daddy had completely disappeared around the point and then we piled back into the car to get warm. Only a few more days and we'll all be together again :)

Hugs,
Rosina

12 comments:

loulee said...

Brought a tear to my eye.

Amy Friend said...

I was just going to write the same thing...it made me teary eyed!

nunu said...

oh so beautiful! you live in a misty mountain magical haven. this little peek into your lives reminds me a bit of the movie 'ponyo.' have you and your children seen it? i think that you would all love it. i just adore it.

Queen of the Nook said...

It makes the family time together so much sweeter because you and your kids know what it means when daddy is gone!

Jennifer Hoots said...

Sweet!

Grace said...

Oh, the post is so very sweet. So worth the rush to wave to Dad.

Anonymous said...

This was so sweet and so sad. I couldn't imagine my husband away from us so much of the time. Isaac would miss him terribly. I think you are an amazing woman to raise those three lovelies with your hubby gone much of the time. You inspire me. xoxo

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Awww, I didn't mean to make you all teary *grin*. They're definitely not sad moments but happy moments :)
Hugs

Heaven said...

My husband is an Army helicopter pilot. He used to be stationed far away from us, but would occasionally have to fly through this area. He always let me know so that my boys and I could stand out on our hill and wave to him as he flew by. As soon as we could hear the sound of the helicopter, the boys would start jumping and waving. It would give all of us a warm, happy glow all day long.

Elizabeth said...

What a sweet moment. I agree it brought a tear to my eye.

Blessings, Elizabeth

Sweetness and Light said...

I thought you weren't too far from us. We're in Seattle and have a great love of BC and did much boating with my dh before we had children. We LOVE the Canadian San Juans and actually conceived our first child in Candaian waters :) Many blessings to you all and what great pictures, hope he's safe home soon!

Anonymous said...

This reunion tugs at my heart, how bittersweet! You describe it beautifully.