Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cleaning Out The Freezers

Making Beef Stock

I've been trying to clean out my freezer a bit before we butcher our cow this winter so I've been boiling up ribs for beef soup stock today to make room :)

I always seem to end up with a ton of ribs and soup bones at the very end and not a lick of hamburger, sausage or roasts and since I never know exactly when it will be cold enough for the cow to hang and age before we cut and wrap it I thought it would be best to get a jump on it before it was to late *grin*.

Making Beef Stock

One thing I always find though is that the ribs Hubby cuts are always so fatty and after they simmer all day there is quite an oil slick on top of the stock. A fantastic way to get rid of it is to put your pot of stock after you have strained out all of the meat, bones and veggies into the fridge for a couple of hours and all of the fat will firm up nice and solid right on top so you scoop it out without loosing any of your delicious stock!

Beef Vegetable Soup


Now that I have lunch taken care of for the next couple of days I can focus on tweaking the new bread recipe I've been trying. I found one that I can use the canned pumpkin I made in the fall along with my freshly milled flour but it needs a wee little adjustment. I can't wait to share the recipe with you :)

Happy weekend!
Rosina

6 comments:

loulee said...

That looks like a delicious broth.
Do you keep the fat for roasting your potatoes?

S/V Mari Hal-O-Jen said...

Please share the bread recipe! My last batch was none too successful...

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi Loulee :)
No I don't use the fat off of my beef soup. I really don't like the taste of beef fat in general so I usually just toss it :) I do keep bacon fat though and will fry eggs or potatoes or meats in it if they need it or are on the dryer side.

Hi Jen :)
I will definitely share. I love adding new recipes to my repetoire *grin*.

Rebecca said...

We have half our first cow still hanging in the barn waiting for a bit of a thaw (-2 degrees?!) and I just rubbed behind our second cow Dudleys ear (he is the rambunctious one) and told him to enjoy his life for a bit longer. Looking forward to getting rid of him-he is a mean one.

He will definitely be better in the pot.

Enjoyed your blog. Homeschooling Mama (of four) who tends farms while Papa is away here too. THough we are from good ole PA. ;-)

Popped in for your maple candy craft, something on our to-do list as we finish up Little House in the Big Woods. ;-)

Hopewell Creek Designs said...

Oh that does look delicious! Now I'm hungry =-)

Harish said...

Just linked this article on my facebook account. it’s a very interesting article for all.

Freezers