Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hexagon Quilt

hexagon quilt

Okay so I know I said that I was going to be working on the dress I'm making for my daughter, but somehow I got distracted. I came across the cutest pattern for a hexagon quilt and now I'm making it *grin*. Wait though I've got a good excuse! It's top secret so it's a good thing she doesn't read my blog but I'm going to make it doll sized as an Easter present for L :) She's going to love it!

hexagon quilt

I've never made a paper pieced quilt before and of course the directions are quite vague but I'm pretty good at improv :) So right out of the starting gate I'm already breaking the pattern rules LOL.

Apparently I was supposed to be using loose paper hexagon pieces that you then baste onto the fabric but I'm totally not into all that basting so I broke out the freezer paper which is instant sticky paper when you iron it onto fabric!

hexagon quilt

I've got all 39 of my little hexagons cut and their freezer paper centers affixed and I'm just finishing up ironing all of the seams down and to make sure that I don't accidentally iron to far over the paper I've been ironing with my cardboard tracer inside. It's working out beautifully but I'm quite thankful that I'm not making a queen sized quilt top or anything with these little guys! I'd be ironing and clipping forever :)

~ Rosina

1 comment:

craftydill said...

What a beautiful distraction! I love hexagons- fabric or crocheted. What a lovely gift :D