Friday, February 5, 2010

Heirloom Dresden Block Quilt

Dresden Block Quilt

There is something so incredibly peaceful about hand sewing. I don't get to spend a lot of time experiencing this as pretty much all of my projects are done on the sewing machine! I have to say I'm envious of you ladies that crochet, knit or embroider for the majority of your time as you can take it anywhere. When was the last time you saw someone using their sewing machine at the bus stop or waiting outside their child's art class?! LOL.

Dresden Block Quilt

This is one of my grandmother's quilts that my mother was so fortunate to be able to save before my grandmother was moved out of her home many years ago. I love the playful feel you get from all of the colorful fabrics and isn't the dresden quilt block just fabulous?

My grandmother belonged to the Women's Institute in her time and with the help of her fellow members they hand stitched hundreds of quilts for charity and hospital residents :) My mom has told me that she had spent many hours ironing pieces for her quilts and joyfully stitching them together, loving every moment of it.

Dresden Block Quilt

This quilt isn't finished yet, just the top is completed and we actually have the backing that she had purchased to go along with it. I hope to be able to complete it in her memory. Perhaps I'll get the chance to create one of my own one day to... all by hand :)

~ Rosina

3 comments:

Jennifer Hoots said...

I love all the bright colors! I have a few of my great-grandmothers quilts. She, too, made them by hand. Yes, that is a sewing machine. I have been given my husband's grandmother's machine. This week we are taking it to be cleaned. After the move and we are settled it is going into action. I've been too timid. I need to jump in! Just do it! I need to make a trip to a nearby fabric store for inspiration, I think. What would be a good first project? Something very simple? (Remember, I am only able to do straight lines. :-))
Jenn

Sadie from allnaturalme.com said...

My MIL loves Dresden circles - i should totally make her one of these :) or a quilt with just one big dresden in the center...

that would also be cool.

SO special of you to be able to complete your grandmothers work.

I'm sure you feel completely honored.

Kiersten said...

It's a beautiful quilt! I've been trying to work on a quilt for a long time - and just decided that maybe I should just hand sew the pieces together, because then I could bring it with me everywhere!
I just discovered your blog today - and look forward to reading it!
thanks!