Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pretty Little Heart Garland

Heart Garland

The last two little handprint valentine cards that we made the other day have been addressed and are waiting to be dropped into the mail to their lucky recipients in different places across the US and Mexico :)

In one of the emails while exchanging addresses we chatted about how we as parents have just as much fun with these little exchanges as our children and you know it is so true! My children are crazy about receiving mail since it isn't an every day occurence for them and I have so much fun making the swaps with them and checking the mailbox right alongside them everyday for packages to *grin*. So when I found out that two wonderful mama's wanted to send us cards in return I was thrilled! I can't wait to see their surprised faces when they find those envelopes in the coming weeks :)

I've been crocheting up a storm today. I found a great little heart pattern at A Foothill Home Companion and it is so nice and easy that you can whip up a heart in a matter of minutes which is a good thing if you plan on making a large garland *grin*.

I didn't have any natural colored yarn for the chain so I thought it would be fun to crochet up some raffia which if you haven't seen it before has a papery texture but is made from plant fiber :) I think that it will make a nice addition to our valentine tree this year :)

I was asked what yarn I used and I thought that I would quickly add it here just in case you would like to know as well :) It is Red Heart 'Luster Sheen' 2ply sport/fine weight and the color is Cherry Red #0915.

What valentine decorations are you making this year?

Hugs,
Rosina



PS. Looking for more crafty ideas or inspiration? Pop over to Natural Suburbia's Creative Friday and see what others are up to :)

9 comments:

Alittlebitsheepish said...

The heart garland is really cute

Anonymous said...

The crocheted raffia looks great!

Queen of the Nook said...

I am the preschool Valentine Party helper, so we are making Linzer cookies in heart shape for the class, and Valentines from vintage images found online of children sledding or ice skating. Happy Super Bowl to me.

TwigandToadstool said...

Lovely! Perhaps it is time for me to pick up crocheting once again ~ inspired make these!
Shanti

Melissa Plank said...

Oh my gosh, I just love your garland, you picked a great red, I'll have to pop back to your post and see if you mention what the yarn is!

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi Melissa :)
the yarn I used is Red Heart 'Luster Sheen' 2ply sport/fine weight and the color is Cherry Red #0915. I hope you can find some :)

Queen of the Nook :)
Oooh linzer cookies are one of my favorites! What a great goodie for your party :) Happy super bowl to you to *grin*.


Hi Shanti :)
I love coming back to crocheting. I find it so much easier to do than knitting so I love finding little projects like this to do once in a while :)

Hi Halfpint & Milkymumma :)
thanks so much :) I wasn't sure about using the raffia at first because I thought it was a little bulky but I'm quite happy with how it turned out :)

Hopewell Creek Designs said...

Oh I think the raffia is a great idea,that really adds something different to the garland.I need crocheting lessons now as well as knitting.I have been a jack of all crafts and only mastered of a few:>

Cheryl said...

Love the contrast of the wool and the raffia. I use raffia for tying up gifts instead of ribbons. I'm yet to feel confident crocheting. I'm still prefering knitting, but these hearts may just win me over.

Melissa said...

(This is going to come out wrong but I mean it in the most complimentary way.) If we were to meet in real life (And that could have happened just a couple years ago as THE Island was a real possibility, not once but twice!
Anyhoo, if we were to meet, I think I would find it hard to be your friend. You are so gifted with the gentle arts. You knit, you crochet, you embroider like a dream, you quilt, you sew, you home school your children ....and the list goes on.
Sometimes I think the envy would just be too much! But I mean that in the nicest possible way.
P.s. It has been about a year since I found your blog as I found you through the Crafty Crow and your paper bag Valentines.