Monday, February 28, 2011

Spicy Lentil Burrito ~ Recipe

Lentil Quesadilla

I've had a bag of lentils in my pantry for quite some time just waiting to be used in something yummy for dinner and when my friend Debbie had mentioned she was making lentil sloppy joes I just had to make something with them *grin*.
Out came some walla walla onion, fresh garlic, garlic chile spice, cumin,
some olive oil for frying and things started smelling mighty good! I added in some lentils and water, simmered until tender and thickened and I had some super tasty lentils for my burritos.

Okay so here's the specifics:

1 cup of finely diced walla walla or other sweet onion
3 cloves of fresh garlic, pressed
1 - 2 tsp. garlic chile paste
2 tsp. cumin
sea salt to taste
a splash of olive oil

Fry all of the above ingredients in a large sauce pan until your garlic is translucent and just tender and add:

2 cups of green lentils (rinsed well in cool water)
6 cups of water

Bring your pot of lentils and water to a rapid boil and then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook for approximately one hour or until tender and they have taken on a nice thick consistency.

Lentil Quesadilla

With your lentils all ready to rock and roll, grab your tortillas and spread a bit of salsa and sour cream in the center, top with some of your cooked lentils, a sprinkle of cheese and we're seriously addicted to pea shoots so we added them to ours as well. You could add guacamole, shredded lettuce, sliced peppers or tomatoes to!

Wrap up your tortilla like a burrito by pulling in the bottom and top sides of your tortilla towards the center of your lentils and then turning the whole thing 180 degrees and rolling it again away from you so that those tucked sides you did first create a nice little pocket to hold all your lentil yumminess in place :)

Sometimes I find that it's a little hard for the kids to keep their burritos all together while they're eating them without having one of the sides pop open and some of the filling slipping out so this time I thought I'd pan fry and use some of the melted cheese like a glue to hold it all together!

Heat your frying pan on medium high heat and place one of your burritos in the pan, flipping to the other side when ready. The high heat will brown it up quite quickly melting the cheese and crisping up the outer skin just perfect for little hands :)

We LOVED these and the filling made enough for leftovers which made a perfect lunch the following day :)

Enjoy!
Rosina

PS. Looking for more yummy recipes?? Check out this week's Hearth and Soul blog hop :)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

This sounds delicious! I am always in need of meatless recipes for Lent. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

MMM...these sound great. I will get my sloppy joe recipe up this week. I've been in a bit of a blogging funk lately but am hoping to bounce back this week. :) xo

Anonymous said...

Looks just yummy!!!

Grace said...

Looks yum. Here in Ga we have the Vidalia sweet onion. I think I'll make these soon - I think my whole family will like them.

house full of jays said...

I've been dreaming about these since you posted...yum. I will have to try them - and see if the kids will go for them. We recently had a not so successful lentil dinner but this sounds fantastic! (How'd the bread turn out for you?)

Harry Seo said...

ESG Appliance is an appliance repair and service company operating in the Los Angeles and Orange counties and providing Installation, Service and Maintenance for appliances like Ice Maker, Microwave Oven, Washer Dryer