Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Yarn Along

A post of my current read and what is cast on my needles ~ Inspired by Ginny over at {Small Things}

Mouse Eating Snake

Oh my goodness, I love this guy!!
I promised I'd share more about my little mouse gobbling snake I made for my little guy and here he is :) I was searching for the perfect gift for the perfect little boy project when I found the Sleepy Snake and Mischievous Mouse pattern. I was smitten with it immediately *grin*. The photo was enough to make me want one and I new he was going to love it to :)

Snake innards

This pattern is super easy!
Everything except for the head is knit in the round on DPN's and is just a simple knit 2, purl 2, ribbed pattern and once you get to the head it switches to straight needles. You do have to drop a few stitches on a spare needle while you work the top of the jaw but you pick them back up again to work the bottom and then they carry right on through to the inside of the snakes head and body.

Through some very creative adding of extra stitches you make a smaller version of the head and another ribbed length of the body that slips right inside the main snakes body. This creates the stomach and a hollow space in the head that allows you to stuff it with a bit of cotton batting for a super cute fluffy head! You've got to love his toupée to *grin*. The hair piece is an additional little knit piece that you make and then I just whip stitched it onto the snakes head, adding his sleepy eyes while I was at it :)

Mice Lumps

Once he's finished you can feed your snakey mice and his body lumps up all the way down the length just like in the above photo just like it would in real life when a snake eats. There is a pattern included to knit up mice but I decided to wet felt some little colorful mice and they were perfect :)

So much fun is being had eating and spitting out mice *grin*. This is going to keep him entertained for a good long while!

Oh and I'm still reading the The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin *grin*. Not getting very far on the book reading this week :)

Hugs,
Rosina

18 comments:

momma rae said...

can't believe he gobbles the mice up!! how cool is that? blinking, beeping toys move over! ;)

Kaylana said...

What a fun toy! My boys would sure love that one. However, they'd probably try to eat my girl's new Phoebe mouse too!! What fun!

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Haha, to funny! We actually had to have a talk about not eating playmobil men and their swords as they might get caught up in the knitting and hurt his snakey *grin*.

eidolons said...

This is awesome. I suspect my oldest would adore one of these. (:

house full of jays said...

I still cannot get over how great this is! And thanks for explaining the construction a little - I was wondering how the hollowed body worked out.

Cheryl said...

I just know my youngest would adore this. Its going on my Ravelry queue. Absolutely adorable.

MJ said...

Rosina I am so in love with this snake. My daughter has a collection of snakes but none like this. You have inspired me, thank you!!!

Unknown said...

I love it! It turned out great :)

Kristi said...

oh my goodness that is so cute!

Molly Melnick said...

That is so CUTE!!

Josée said...

Super cute snake! I'm sure if Monkey had one of those he feed it all sort of things :)

Erin @ Wild Whispers said...

This gave me shivers!! UGH! I am so not a snake person! Great knit!

WOOLHALLA said...

That is so funny! Your post made my day!!! Absolutely adorable :O

Jess said...

What a fun, and educational toy!

Jarka said...

this is the coolest thing I've ever seen - seriously!! wow!!!

Elizabeth said...

Oh this is just the cutest snake ever. I don't even think I'd mind him joining the family. Love how he gobbles up those mice.

Blessings, Elizabeth

Sweetness and Light said...

It's positvely adorable, I love it!

Cloudberry said...

Cool snake!