Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tug Boat Blessings



Today's blessing block is for my husband :)
He is the captain of a tug boat and tows logs up and down the coast from all of the different logging camps so I thought it would be fitting to make this block a tug boat. He loves to be on the water and actually began as a commercial fisherman.

When we first met he was in between fishing seasons and decided to try his hand at shake blocking. This was back breaking work. He and his partner would go into remote areas in the forest where it had been logged and they would salvage cedar that they would find amongst the clear cut. There they would cut split and stack them into piles that would be strapped together in slings so that a helicopter could fly in, pick them up and eventually they would be loaded on a B train to be taken to the mill.

He did this for a couple of years. It was nice that he had a 9-5 job and was home every evening but the ocean called *grin*. After the birth of our first son he got a job as a deckhand with a local tug company and well the rest is history. He worked his way up through the ranks, went back to school and got a ticket so he could run the tugs himself and now he's the captain. We've gone from him being home every night to seeing him for a couple of days every 1-2 weeks but he LOVES his job and I'm happy that he's happy :)

I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband that works so hard for his family :) I am also blessed that this allows me to stay home with my 3 children and to be able to homeschool them. So many blessings can be tied into this one little block *grin*.

Blessing Block ~ Tug

I love felt as many of you know and I find it so easy to work with that I just had to use it for the tug as it was going to take some work to piece it all together :) The black circles along the bow and side represent the rubber that is all around his tug and I used french knots to hold them on and I just love how the water turned out with all of the french knots clustered together like that. If you're wondering why I chose the colors of black and maroon instead of something brighter it was because this is the actual color of my husbands tug. I would have stitched the name on it to but it was just to tiny *grin*.

I'm starting to get a little bit of a vision as to how I'm going to complete my blocks to which is great. I wasn't quite sure what direction I was going in when I started but now I have more plans :)

Happy stitching!
~ Rosina

5 comments:

Alison said...

This is amazing! I love the use of felt, and the knots for the water, it's really fabulous!!
Alison

Busy Beebe said...

Wow! I'm so impressed!
I can't wait to see your next square.

P.

paula said...

Isn't it wonderful when someone is doing the job they love . . . it makes life wonderful for everyone they are around.

LOVE your "ocean." The french knots give it movement.

Anonymous said...

I've really missed you, too! After my blog got hacked and I lost everything, it was so hard to get back into the swing of things. I then got pregnant and VERY, VERY sick and just couldn't keep up. A friend designed a blog for me (but it wasn't really all my style) and so I am finally feeling back into the blog world again. I've really missed the friends I lost touch with.

Have a lovely weekend,
Tamara

tongfengdemao said...

Great block and a great story/blessing with it.