Friday, May 7, 2010

First Block Finished

counting my blessings block

I did it! I finished my very first block *grin*.
I decided that my first one was going to be about what a blessing my vegetable garden is to our family :) Every spring we start seeds indoors and outdoors, growing radishes, carrots, beans, peas, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes and more. We try to eat as much organic produce as possible and being able to grow some of it to save money is a great help. I love to can our vegetables as well and my pantry is quite low this spring so I'm really counting on the garden to bolster our winter supplies. Plus it is so gratifying for myself and my children to watch those little seeds sprout and fruit before our eyes :)



As I created my block I thought of those aerial scenes of farmland that you see with the perfect little square patches of greens and browns and thought that would be a great way to do my mini garden. Of course you can't have a garden without something growing in it! So I used french knots for my little veggies and then ran knotted green thread through the finished french knots to create the green tops on the veggies. I really like how it turned out :) Now I need to come up with a new block!

Don't forget that you can find all of my stitch along blog entries in one convenient place on the special Count My Blessings Stitch along page I created!

Happy stitching
~ Rosina

16 comments:

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

I love home grown veggies! Your stitching turned out great! Looking forward to seeing the next one! :)

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Rosina! LOVE your first square! I can really appreciate YOUR appreciation for homegrown and home canned goods! I've done a little of both. I don't have access to a garden this year, but I hope to at least do some cannning, if I can! There's nothing better than homemade!
~tina

Anonymous said...

Rosina - your first square is SO CLEVER - very fun I can imagine the other end of the carrot hanging below the fabric - lol
ros wistful

Unknown said...

that is so sweet and clever... I hope that all of us can take others squares and use it for their own inspiration...I think that is partly what is is about....so to answer your question on copying my idea...YES! I can't wait to see your bride and groom....I am sure it will be great!!! Mica/The Sowing Boz

Anonymous said...

I love this first block Rosina. It is very clever indeed and so sweet. Makes me wish my veggies were ready to harvest. :)

aware said...

I love it! Can't wait to see it as you add to it :)

Tizzalicious said...

That is so cute! I love it!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

oh my goodness! That little square is slap-yo-mama adorable! I just love it!

Lori Holt said...

I just love it Rosina...
i am a gardener too...I feel the same way about having my own spot of soil to plant seeds in and watch the miracle of creation.
I love how we can re-create what we love through needle and thread.
I designed a whole quilt about it called Cottage Garden.
It's one of my favorite:)
I'm looking forward to your next block!
x
lori

craftydill said...

Rosy, your embroidery is wonderful! I just love the 3D effect! Can't wait to see the other blocks!!
-Michelle

Hey Jude said...

Rosina that is absolutely darling! What a creative idea:)
jude

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful comments on my veggie garden block!! You're all so sweet :)

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I'm just in awe of that! I never would have thought to do that. I love it!

Anonymous said...

So, so cute! I want to learn to needlepoint one day. Do you can your carrots? I have not tried that yet and wondered if they are good that way.

Mihaela said...

Beautiful!!!

tongfengdemao said...

This is just AWESOME!!!