Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rhubarb Spritzer

rhubarb juice

Rhubarb has done it again! Today I made a big batch of delicious rhubarb syrup which is just perfect for a tasty summertime drink :)

rhubarb juice

This is so super easy to make. Chunk up 6 cups of fresh rhubarb stalks and place in a heavy bottomed sauce pot. Add 5 cups of water, 2 1/2 cups of sugar and 2 nice thick slices of lemon and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes when the rhubarb has completely gone mushy.

Let the syrup cool and then strain through a fine mesh sieve into a jar. You will have a gorgeous pink liquid and you can eat the boiled rhubarb to! I had quite the chuckle this afternoon as I told my mom about making the syrup and that there wasn't one stitch of rhubarb left. The kids had eaten it all up *grin*.

rhubarb juice

To finish off your yummy rhubarb spritzer you will need a bottle of sparkling water. I love to use Pellegrino. We don't like to have ours to sweet so we use 1 part syrup and 2 parts Pellegrino for a light and refreshing drink. It's like having a soda but without the ingredients you can't pronounce *grin*.

Can't wait to take this on our next picnic!
~ Rosina

9 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmm. I gotta try this...I LOVE rhubarb!!! I used to have a plant in Washington...I miss having it to bake with...Thanks for sharing the goodness...Mica/The Child's Paper

zsazsazsu said...

this tastes like summer ... now still a little more degrees here and this would be a perfect drink on the beach !

Jennifer Hoots said...

I did not know one could do such a thing! Looks really refreshing!
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm!We don't have rhubarb growing in our garden yet - but have bought a rhubarb root and just need to plant it. Tomorrow we are heading to the farmers market - I'll buy some there and perhaps will make this. It looks soooo good. -Debbie

OB said...

YES!! I love this!! I was just drink my favorite little mix yesterday, fresh squeezed OJ and Pellegrino, it's so amazing, thinking I should blog about this lol I'm so going to try this out! Thanks so much for sharing, I love Pellegrino too!! :)

paula said...

RHUBARB . . . .YUMMO!! !

Can't wait to try this with our 2010 crop.eu

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi everyone :) Thanks so much for all of the great comments. You really must try this recipe I know you will all love it! Have a happy weekend :)

Sandpiper said...

This sounds delicious!! I will definitely try it!

Anonymous said...

I just made this from Pinetrest. In that recipe it calls for 8 cups of water. Here it calls for 5 cups of water. Which is a revision of the original recipe? Thanks, Kathie Oh and I made the recipe with 8 cups of water and it was fine but I am wondering if it would be more of a syrupy concentrate with just 5 cups of water.