Tuesday, October 5, 2010


Making Bias Tape

I've been making bias tape for the binding around my potholders but I think it would have been quicker to have just bought a pre made package! I really wanted that perfect match to my fabric though *grin*

I've never made bias tape before so I just sort of estimated the width and went with 1 1/2 inch strips of fabric and after all of the folding and ironing I ended up with 3/4 inches of fabric to wrap around the edges of my potholders. I've got the first one pinned and I'm hoping that when I go to sew it on tomorrow it all goes smoothly!

I was going to do it tonight but I just got a phone call from my boss and it's time to go back to work. I work seasonally for fisheries offloading sea cucumbers and red & green sea urchins and there are a few boats hailing into the area for the end of the week so I've been sorting through paperwork and charts to see what I need for this winter. It's a great way to pick up a little extra cash around the holidays but man I am seriously not looking forward to standing out in the pouring rain anytime soon! LOL. It never fails, as soon as I start it rains sideways and soaks me. I'll just have to focus on the nice little cash infusion that will be heading to my bank account very soon *grin*.


1 comment:

Annie said...

I have a project that stopped dead in it's tracks because of needing to make my own binding with a piece of fabric that's too small to make it easy. I haven't made the time to do it and was totally overwhelmed with video instructions I saw online. You remind me to carry a fabric swatch the next time I'm in a town with a fabric shop! I'll either find the right thing or find a good match.