Monday, October 18, 2010

Acorn Goodness

stumpwork acorn

My little stumpwork acorn turned out fabulous!! I was a little worried that the threads I wrapped the felt core with were looking a little disheveled but I think it turned out pretty good for a first go at this kind of needle work *grin*.

stumpwork acorn

The pattern called for hand stitching around the top of the thread acorn to create the cap but as it happens I have a cup full of dried acorns from last fall :) So I pried apart a few of them taking the nuts out of their caps until I found one that was a perfect fit. With my trusty rusty glue gun I glued the cap on.

leaf frame

LOVE it!! My mom is working on some leaf collages that she's framing and we were playing around tonight with them and my little acorn fit in just perfectly. You know what that means though... yup, she wants one to *grin*.

stumpwork acorn

I think I'm going to have to make LOTS more *grin*. I'm a little nutty for acorns LOL.
Hugs,
Rosina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that is so cute Rosina! Can you recommend a beginning stitch book for embroidery and little projects like this? *Beginner* as in I can thread the needle and tie a surgeons knot. LOL

Kim van Waardenburg said...

wonderfull!! I am into making acorns too:) I just needle felt them. I nveer saw them the way you made them they are super!!

Grace said...

That is precious. Turned out beautifully.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments :) I just need to get my hands on more acorn tops now!

Amy Friend said...

I love the acorn and I think that using the real acorn cap makes it all the better. That's one of my favorite parts of the ornament!