Monday, March 28, 2011

Firewood

Stihl

Firewood seems to consume a great many months of our lives. In the fall it starts with the loading of wheelbarrows and the lighting of stoves which continues through the many winter months and spring brings the cutting and chopping of more wood to replenish the woodshed.

Cutting

K has been out alongside my dad helping this year.
Rounds

Together they have been cutting down some of the leaning alders and cutting them into the exact lengths needed to fit our woodstoves.

Balancing Act
My younger two have been out checking out what they've been up to as well. They love to use the rounds as balance beams, seeing who can last the longest as they walk along them rolling from side to side :)

Splitting Firewood
One big perk to having a growing boy is that he can help with some of the manly chores. With his dad away for work so much of the time this is definitely appreciated by this mama...

Splitting Firewood

Plus there are some monetary rewards that make the work just a little bit sweeter *grin*.

Hugs,
Rosina

2 comments:

Alea Milham said...

I love watching my little one play while we are working on the property, but I really appreciate my oldest son taking on Dad's tasks when he is away! Such a blessing!

yardsaleprincess1 said...

Hi Rosina,
I was just turned onto your blog by a friend and I have been reading it all morning. I love what you write and the things that your kids are getting to do. It reminds me of my childhood. I didn't grow up on a farm but I did get to have chicks, laying hens, roosters, geese, a turkey and for a short time even a goat. We lived in the city but we really lived the farm life. I loved my childhood. Dad chopped wood and my brothers and I would stand on it just as your boys are in this post and roll back and forth. It saddens me sometimes that I live in a location that won't allow me to have some of the farm animals for my own kids. So I try to introduce them to the earth in all of the other ways that I can. They dig and dig and dig to their hearts content for lost treasures. We have our home made compost bin and lots of fruit and veggies that we plant. But reading your blog brings back that desire for the way I was raised. I really enjoy your blog and look forward to reading more of it.