Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cinnamon Christmas Stars

Holiday Star Ornaments


We're kicking the holiday season off with some fun crafting :) I had ran across some twig stars on flickr and thought that it would be fun to make some with the kids but instead of using twigs we used cinnamon sticks so that we could have a little bit of christmas scented aromatherapy *grin*.

Holiday Star Ornaments

We headed outdoors after breakfast to cut some fresh cedar branches and collect any miniature pine cones we could find that the squirrels hadn't already striped and hidden away for winter. We were lucky to find a few out by the chicken coop and I had some star anise, bells and red berries from last Christmas still in the craft cupboard for gussying up our stars :)

Holiday Star Ornaments

To keep things moving quickly so the younger two wouldn't loose interest by waiting for glue to dry I pulled out my trusty hot glue gun *grin*. I swear everyone should own one of those! LOL. We had our cinnamon stars assembled in not time and were ready to add our greenery :)

Holiday Star Ornaments

They each took turns picking out which pinecones, bells and such they wanted to use and I helped them glue everything on to their stars. We even made a couple of extras to share with my mom and friends :)

Holiday Star Ornaments

They smell awesome! We have five of them hanging all along our big picture window in the family room and they have scented the whole area. Now we just need a garland to go with them :)

Looking for more crafty ideas or inspiration? Pop over to Natural Suburbia's Creative Friday and see what others are up to :)

Hugs,
Rosina

18 comments:

Féepoussière said...

gorgeous!
What a great idea!!!

WonderWhyGal said...

I can almost smell the cinnamon as I read your post. Great decoration and great instructions, thank you.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Anonymous said...

I love these!! I was just searching the internet yesterday looking for ideas that are more natural. Family Fun had a few good ideas but I like this much better!! I just love reading your blog and seeing what you come up with next. :)

Jennifer Hoots said...

So pretty, and I bet it smells very nice too!
Jenn

W-S Wanderings said...

Brilliant *and* scentsational!

Melissa Plank said...

Very cute, I love the smell of cinnamon!

Linda said...

What a beautiful ornament! Thank you so much for sharing on Creative Friday and for linking:)

Unknown said...

They are so very pretty Rosina. I hope to make some for our tree that needs a little more decorating.

Sarah said...

Wow! Those look wonderful!

Cheryl said...

I love this idea. Fun alternative to a simple bundle of cinnamon sticks, that I've made in the past. Bet they look great on the tree.

Anonymous said...

These are great! Thank you so much for sharing this. I was thinking this morning how I wanted to do Christmas crafts with the kids but everything requires so many purchased items from the craft store. This will be great for tomorrow:)
Sasha

Elisa said...

Those are so pretty!

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi everyone :)
I'm so happy that you all enjoyed our little cinnamon stars and hello to all of you new visitors! I'm looking forward to popping over to all of your blogs to say hi :)

K said...

Rosy! What swell stars! And those starry pods you used - I've never seen anything like them before. I swear, I live in the wrong part of the world for cool pods. Thank you for showing us these - I want to make some just for the smell- but they look terrific!

Kim @ Homestead Acres said...

That is such a cute idea! I love crafts with cinnamon sticks, they smell great on the tree. :)

The Little Helper said...

Love this idea! I will be making these this week with my daughter for sure!

I hope you don't mind, but I shared it on my Letters from Santa FB page. You can see it here if you like! http://www.facebook.com/EasyFreeSantaLetters?sk=wall

froginparis said...

Thanks! This will be the week's project for our Homeschool craft day. Off to collet bits and bobs.

Angeline Wright Meyer said...

Lovey idea and I plan to make a few for Solstice-or maybe have the kids make and take them! Thanks!
I have to say, however...if you are home schooling your children, please brush up on your English grammar. You say "I had ran..." Absolutely incorrect!! The pluperfect of "Run" is "I had Run..." It is not "I had ran...