Friday, July 30, 2010

Homemade Lemon Pepper Pasta ~ Recipe

Lemon Pepper Pasta

Oh my word do I love homemade pasta *grin*.
I just have to say that if you have been wanting to make your own noodles but have thought that it must be a lot of work it isn't! It takes less time than it does to knead, rise & bake bread or buns... honest :)

Occasionally when we are in the city and we're going to be home late I'll pick up some fresh lemon pepper fettucine noodles that are made locally to cook up for dinner and we all love it but I knew that if I just put my head to it I could make it to *grin*.

lemon zest

I started by grating the zest off of one large organic lemon and squeezing all of the juice out of it with my reamer. I then added it to my blender pureeing it along with 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of whole peppercorns until the peppercorns were broken up into small flecks. This makes quite a spicy dough so if you are less keen on pepper I would go with about 1/2 the amount :)

To finish your pasta dough you will need:

2 eggs
2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon lukewarm water

Place your flour and salt in a large bowl or directly on your counter and make a nice big well in the center. In the well add your eggs, oil, water and broccoli puree.

With a fork slowly start to beat your eggs, mixing them into your broccoli puree and then start to gradually pull the surrounding flour into your wet ingredients until it has taken on a dough like consistency and you can start to work it with your hands.

Lemon Pepper Pasta

This is probably the only part of making homemade noodles that really requires any elbow grease *grin*. Keep working your dough kneading in a little bit of flour at a time until you have a smooth and silky feeling dough. It took me about 10 minutes and around a 1/4 cup of extra flour to get my dough to a gorgeous soft green stage. Once you've finished kneading cover your dough with a greased bowl and let it rest for 20 minutes.

While your dough is resting you can bring out your pasta machine and clamp it to your counter so you are ready to start rolling :) Don't worry if you don't have a pasta machine. You can roll the dough by hand with your rolling pin and use your pizza cutter to make strips to!

*************

If you've jumped ahead a bit and noticed that all of a sudden my dough turned *green* that's because I forgot to take photos of us rolling our dough through my pasta maker this time and I'm going to use the photos & text from my Broccoli Pasta recipe that give you the low down on how to finish making your noodles *grin*. I know I'm a total cheater but I thought why type it twice! LOL.

broccoli pasta

This is my favorite part. I just love to see the dough work through the rollers into long sheets :) It helps to have a second set of hands but definitely not mandatory.

Cut off a chunk of dough a little bigger than a golf ball but not as big as a tennis ball. Does that work for mental imagery? *grin*. Dust your chunk of dough with flour so that it won't stick to the rollers and with your machine set to the widest width start cranking your dough through. Repeat this step 2 or 3 times at that width dusting with flour as necessary and then reduce the roller width one setting. Carry on rolling and dusting as necessary until you have a nice thin sheet of dough roughly 3 mm thick.

broccoli pasta

Next switch your handle to the noodle cutting rollers and feed your sheet of dough through the fettucine roller from start to finish. That's it! You now have a handful of fresh fettucine noodles to dry!

Lemon Pepper Pasta

I don't have a fancy place to hang my fresh noodles so I use the railing of our stairs covered with tea towels that have been dusted with flour so the noodles won't stick as they dry. Let them dry completely if you want to store them or if you plan to eat them for dinner right away let them hang there about 15 minutes before cooking them. They cook up really quickly! I usually boil them 5-6 minutes but if you like yours a little more al dente I'd cut the cooking time by a couple of minutes :)

****************

It makes roughly 1 pound of pasta and it was the perfect amount for all 6 of us with fresh broccoli from the garden :) It definitely has some kick with all of that pepper and the lovely lemon taste great. This recipe would be fabulous paired with seafood! That will be my next project :)

PS. Check out the Wholesome Whole Foods and Food Renegade weekly link up for more great recipes and articles :)

Bon appetit!

~ Rosina

13 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds delish!!! Have a delightful weekend! Mica

Sandpiper said...

Oh that sounds delicious! Hubby made homemade pasta once & it was really good. I think you're giving me a craving!
Have a good weekend!
(Has it been hot where you live? I can't believe it's been so long since we had rain!)

Annie said...

Homemade pasta is the BEST! This looks so delicious!

Michelle (Health Food Lover) said...

I love homemade pasta! And I'm loving the idea of using pepper and lemon- sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing this at Wholesome Whole Foods!

Sheri G said...

I just started making my own pasta and you're right! It's easier than I thought!! So glad to have happened upon this recipe ... I will definitely try it!!

Gadgets UK said...

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Amy said...

My kids and I made this pasta yesterday and it was delicious. Thank you for posting.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi Amy :)
I'm so happy that you all enjoyed the recipe so much. Thanks for stopping by to let me know :)

Anonymous said...

Broccoli Puree??
I am really confused.

I want to make this - but where's the broccoli puree recipe to add?

Anonymous said...

Broccoli puree?

I am really lost?

Where is the part of the recipe that explains how to make this?

*Blink, blink*

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hi Anonymous :)
There isn't actually any broccoli puree in this recipe. I had previously made a recipe using fresh broccoli & basil from our garden and turned it into a pasta and you can find that recipe here:

http://rosinahuber.blogspot.ca/2010/06/making-homemade-pasta-recipe.html

I had mentioned it in the notes for this recipe becasue I had re-used photos from the previous broccoli pasta as I was missing a few for the instructions. Sorry about the confusion :)

Anonymous said...

Looks super yummy. What would you recommend as the sauce? Olive oil and parm.
cheese?

Anonymous said...

goyard bag
kd shoes
bape hoodie
kyrie irving shoes
kyrie irving shoes
golden goose outlet
yeezy shoes
supreme
off white t shirt
yeezy