Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dust If You Must & Is Your Sunscreen Safe?



I originally saw this poem shared over at A Magical Childhood but I just had to share it here on my blog as well for those of you who may not have seen it :) I have no problem admitting that I don't do a whole lot of dusting and that's because we've got a whole lot of living to do instead *grin*.

How about you?

DUST IF YOU MUST
(Author unknown)

Dust if you must but wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture or write a letter,
Bake a cake or plant a seed.
Ponder the difference between want and need.

Dust if you must but there's not much time,
With rivers to swim and mountains to climb!
Music to hear and books to read,
Friends to cherish and life to lead.

Dust if you must but the world's out there
With the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair,
A flutter of snow, a shower of rain.
This day will not come around again.

Dust if you must but bear in mind,
Old age will come and it's not kind.
And when you go and go you must,
You, yourself, will make more dust.

******

Remember, a house becomes a home when
you can write "I love you" on the furniture....


With all of the fun in the sun going on right now it's that time of year when we all pull out our sunscreen and start coating our children in it, but do you know if your sunscreen is safe or not? Many of the popular brands seen on shelves are loaded with harmful carcinogens and I came across the handiest little widget over at Non-Toxic Kids that lets you put in what sunscreen brand you are currently using and find out how it scores from 0 ~ the safest all the way up to 10 ~ which you'll want to avoid like the plague *grin*.

Another blog has also shared a review on 3 sunscreens that are available here on the island and some tips on what you should be looking for when you gazing at the endless choices in sun protection :)

The sunscreen that we have in the cupboard turned out to be rated a 5 so it was smack dab in the middle of not bad & run shreeking in horror *grin* but I think we'll be looking for a new one the next time we head into the city :)

~ Rosina

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMGoodness. I use the two different banana boats for kids..one a lotion the other a spray. I am trowing them out. It says the lotion is a 5 and the spray a 7. Sad thing is I went to put the spray on Freckles yesterday before she went swimming and I sprayed it in her eyes. it was terrible. We had to run her to a faucet to get it out of her eyes, the whole time she is crying and me feeling absolutely terrible that I sprayed it in her precious eyes. It stung all day. I am throwing that junk away. I had no idea it was that bad!!!!Thanks for sharing and making it aware to us uninformed! Mica

Justine said...

Hi Rosina, I just got a new sunscreen for the kids from edible island. It's brand is badger and I scored a "1"!!
Not to shabby, I hope it works for them as they are at camp bob this week. I shall email you back soon been super busy. Hope your having a great day.
Justine

Anonymous said...

Dusting? What's that? I'm with you girlfriend - rather live my life and explore with my boy (even it's just some computer time) than spend my days with a mop or broom.

We have been using both Badger and Alba Organics. Badger is SO expensive but we'll be looking for some of the Alba Organics mineral based sunscreens. Thanks for this.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Hey Justine :)
I was wondering what had happened to you *grin*. Camp Bob!! You are so very close to me if that's where they are... just down the road :)

I'm going with the Badger brand to. I've been checking all the different ones out and the Badger brand has the least ingredients and you can understand what they all are to! Looking forward to hearing from you :)