Friday, March 9, 2012

Heart of our Home

Real Life

My kitchen, the heart of our home.... and if I'm completely real with you it's also a mess :)

Yup, it isn't always perfect around here. The sink is full of dirty dishes, I've covered most of the counters with stuff as I grind wheat and make bread, the little guy is raiding the utensil drawer for flippers and other tools to make playdough cookies with, there's playdough crumbles all over the carpet, and if you missed it there's a gingerbread cookie jar up in the top peaking out that just never made it away after christmas. And believe it or not this isn't even as messy as it got today! LOL.

Fresh Flour

I've been getting back into my breadmaking groove after taking a bit of a break and the wheat berries have been running through my nutrimill double time. Six cups of berries creates about seven cups of flour ready for baking bread, muffins, pita pockets, tortillas, cookies and more. Any extra flour left over is stored in a glass one gallon jar for later use.

DSC_0146

Hard red spring wheat berries milled into soft fine flour with every part of the wheat's goodness still there.

Rising

My favorite bread recipe rising in the warmth of the preheating oven.

Lunch

Lunch was a little late as we waited for my oldest son to come in from stacking wood in the woodshed but the aroma of fresh bread and the sight of giant sandwiches waiting for his arrival washed away any tiredness. Plus I made sure his was extra big :) This mama knows what makes her growing boy happy *grin*.

Hugs,
Rosina

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

Yummm, looks good! I can even smell the bread ;)

Yesterday I baked the best and tastiest bread I've ever made.
There's only 1 slice left... Up to bake a new one!

eidolons said...

Ooooh! Want to share your bread recipe? I have yet to make a wheat bread that turned out well. Mine is always too dense and.. well.. dense. More of a doorstop than a lunchtime treat. (:

Anonymous said...

I love that your so real with this post! We always seem to imagine other blogger's homes and lives so perfect, and I love that I'm not the only one with a messy kitchen and occasional play dough in the carpet, LOL.

Your bread looks SO good!

Sandpiper said...

I walked around my house one day taking pictures of the disaster that seemed to be in each room. I was going to post it, but I chickened out. Thanks for being real!
That sandwich looks amazing!
Your bread looks good too!

Cheryl said...

I am super impressed that you grind your own bread flour. Do you grow it as well? Your kitchen looks like a busy place, not untidy. For untidy, you should see mine. On the other hand, maybe not! Beautiful bread. I'm inspired by your idea of lining the tins. I lost the bottom of a loaf last week. Ahh!

Louise kay said...

Forever jelous of people with huge kitchens. Ours is a corner in the front room :( sigghh.

http://strawberrybubbletea.blogspot.com/

Wasabi Honey Bee said...

Looks like a real used/loved/ kitchen : ) Happy bread making!!

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Thanks everyone for all of the kind comments on the 'real' look inside my kitchen :) It was fun and scary all at the same time to share it *grin*.

eidolons ~ I was just looking back through my blog because I thought I had a copy of my recipe already on there but I don't so I will definitely get some photos together and share the recipe with you soon!

cheryl ~ I don't grow my own wheat but that would be really neat to do. Definitely try lining your tins with folded parchment paper. It works great for keeping my bread tins clean. I always ended up with a sticky build up inside of them from spraying and greasing them and this fixes that problem and you can reuse the paper a couple of times before tossing it and starting new again :)